EDIT MAIN
Plus_blue

Facilities Committee Minutes

March 7, 2016 Minutes

Facilities Committee Meeting
Monday, March 7, 2016
MINUTES


The meeting was called to order at 6 pm by Jeanie White.

Mr. Glenn Berkbigler, Director of Buildings and Grounds at District 32, presented information to the committee about the highest-priority needs on campus. He outlined his concerns about roofing and HVAC systems that several buildings, and presented additional repairs he will be asking the BOE to fund including repairing a major drain culvert and replacing a water main. He prioritized the top two roofing/HVAC projects with first being the fifth grade center and the second being Perryville Elementary School (three pods and the cafeteria/office area). He recommends that the District use Daikin ductless mini-split units in the future, both for function and efficiency.

Mrs. White then reviewed the 5 different consultants/architects who responded to the notice for proposals and had presented to the committee. A brief discussion followed about each. It was then moved by Andy Comstock, and seconded by Becky Angle, to recommend that the Board of Education invite both KRJ and Vue/Incite to present to them at a board meeting. The group approved the motion unanimously. Mrs. Nancy Voelker, president of the BOE, then suggested Monday, March 21 as the possible date of a special meeting for those presentations. Committee co-chairs will attend the Wednesday, March 9, BOE meeting to review the committee’s work and formally make the committee’s recommendation to the board.

A Facilities Committee brochure draft was presented for committee review, created with the bulleted list of concerns developed with the help of each building administrator. Members were asked to review brochure and email Kate Martin (kmartin@pcsd32.com) with any suggested edits before the end of the day on Wednesday, March 9.

No meeting date will need to be set until the Board of Education provides the next task to the committee.

Meeting was adjourned at 8:05 pm.

Feb. 1, 2016 Minutes

The meeting was called to order by Nancy Voelker.

A presentation was given by Dr. Megan Styjewski, director of elementary education, and Mrs. Jill Lawson, director of assessments and student services, with Lindbergh School District in St. Louis. They spoke about growing student population affecting student achievement, and Lindbergh's 4-year process of planning, building and moving students. This included a bond issue in 2007, the first that had passed in their district "in forever." Their task force began in 2007, the new school building opened in 2011. Student achievement, parent involvement increased, and discipline incidents have decreased.

Meeting was adjourned at 7:30 pm. 

Jan. 11, 2016 Minutes

The meeting was called to order at 5 pm by committee co-chairs Becky Angle, Lara Green, Erin Blythe and Wes Amberger.

Phillip Smith, an architect from Cape Girardeau, presented information about work he has done with area schools, in particular Cape Central. He has helped with preliminary drawings, bond issue, and creating safe room. He has worked with Jerry McCall, using McCall's ideas and options to build new facilities and rearrange campuses.

Presentation by KRJ was given by David, and Young-Hie Nahm Kromm, and John ----, former assistant superintendent and board member at DeSoto School District. KRJ reviewed the work they did for D32 in 1994, when the campus was reconfigured and the annexes were added at PHS and PCMS, and showed us the remaining phases of the work planned back then. They then outlined how they would help us pass a bond issue to help fund an expansion/reconfiguration/construction project, if one is needed.

The meeting adjourned at 8 pm.

Jan. 4, 2016 Minutes

January 4, 2016

Facility Committee Minutes

Tonight we met after the interview with Hoener Associates to discuss a game plan for our group. Over the next few months we will be attempting to determine the best solution for our space problem to present to the School Board in June or July. We need to come up with the best solution for our school by educating ourselves and the larger parent group on what research, educators, and administrators say about school size, configuration, and design.

While doing this we also need to investigate ways we can work cooperatively in the community. Some ideas were a community safe room (FEMA and or SEMA) and working with St Vincent, Immanuel, and Altenburg.

We each have a Research Notebook with a schedule to keep us organized.

We agreed to meet bimonthly.

Prepared by Becky Angle. 

Nov. 30, 2015 Minutes

Facilities Committee Minutes
November 30, 2015

Meeting was opened by committee chairs Becky Angle, Lara Green and Erin Blythe, who introduced new co-chair Wes Amberger.

Also in attendance were Kate Martin, Linda Buerck, Michael Rollet, Ashley Christisen, Stephanie Stark, Nicole Garris, Alicia Blythe, Mike and Christi Hoff, Kevin Bachmann, Mike Wortmann, Tracey Hagan, Denise Ulrich, Jennifer Streiler, Angie Schindler, Erin Hahs, Rick Francis, Mark Gremaud, Scott Sattler, Jenni Krauss, Jane Narrow, Mark Phillips, Kathy Carron, Jennifer Hotop, Tracy Hemmann, Jeff Green, Brandy Balsman, Karen Zoellner, Jeanie White and Kelcee Hill.

Angle presented the committee’s purpose and goal statement as approved by the Board of Education.

Scott Sattler, director of Perry County Economic Development Authority, spoke about community growth and explained how his office can help with the process of information gathering. He has experience with facilities evaluations and passing tax issues.

Chairs reviewed information about 20-year student population and staffing numbers, along with the changes in educational programming. The message is that we don’t need more space because we have more people, but because the district is offering so many more programs, special services and educational opportunities.

The group reviewed and revised a list of bullet points that can be used to create a one-page flyer to distribute to community members explaining the committee’s purpose, and the challenges that the district is facing.

Committee chairs asked members to attend the regular January meeting of the Board of Education, which begins at 7 pm Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2016, with anticipation of asking the board to approve the hiring of a consultant to examine district educational programs and facilities to maximize effective use of educational spaces and resources.

Perry County Clerk Jared Kutz will be invited to a future meeting to present information about the district’s current tax financing, and to explain the difference between bond issues and tax levies, and how to conduct voter registration drives for parents.

No date was set for next meeting, but a meeting may be called if additional consultants reply to the newspaper request for proposals, which closes Dec. 14. If a meeting needs to be held before the Jan. 13 Board of Education meeting, an email will be sent to all members.

Meeting was adjourned at 7:55 pm. 

Nov. 9, 2015 Minutes

Mrs. Nancy Voelker, board president, opened the meeting at 6:30 pm by inviting parents, staff and community members to sign up for the facilities committee. She also asked for volunteers to chair the committee.

A recap of Jerry McCall’s Nov. 5 presentation was given to the committee, as well as explanation of the bidding process that school districts must follow.

The group decided to work on a list of bullet points that can be used to create a one-page flyer to distribute to community members explaining the committee’s purpose and challenges that the district is facing. Committee members can email concerns to Kate Martin.

Chair people for the committee were announced: Becky Angle, Lara Green and Erin Blythe.

Committee members: Amanda Grein, Brenda Nelson, Jeanie White, Erin Hahs, Angie Schindler, Jan Rehagen, Stephanie Auler, Stephanie Stark, Nicole Garris, Erin Blythe, Jenni Krauss, Janette Call, Julie French, Barb Derickson, Jill Bergman, Lisa Morris, Jamie Gladden, Kelcee Hill, Kevin Bachmann, Ashley Christisen, Michael Rollet, Lawana Bell, Bob Bell, Stephanie Pyland, Angie Huber, Mike Hoff, Denise Ulrich, April Weibrecht, Michele Courtois, Mary Catherine Fetterhoff, Jennifer Hotop, Tracey Hemmann, Jeff Green, and Kate Martin.

Board members in attendance were Nancy Voelker, Kevin Bachmann and Mark Gremaud.

The next meeting is Nov. 30, 2015 at 6:30 pm at Perryville High School Library.

Meeting adjourned at 8:05 pm. 

Nov. 5, 2015 Minutes

The Facilities Committee meeting was held Thursday, Nov. 5. Board President Nancy Voelker called the meeting to order at 5 pm in the Perryville High School Library.

The group heard a presentation by Jerry McCall of Educational Consulting Services. Mr. McCall discussed the services which his company can offer to District 32 for building, site, and educational program planning for the future. This can include demographic data collection, building and facility assessments, and project recommendations.

Voelker asked the committee members to reach out to other consultants that may like to present to the committee.

The next meeting is Monday, Nov. 9 at 6:30 pm in the PHS Library.