Call Transportation Office at 573-547-7500 Ext. 790
General Bus Information and Rules
Perry County School District No. 32 operates its own transportation system. Residents with questions about the bus routes should contact the Transportation Department at Perry County School District No. 32.
- Buses serving Perry County School District No. 32 will operate on approximately the same routes as last year, there may be changes to pick up or drop off spots.
- Buses will leave as soon as possible at the end of the school day. Students must be at the bus parking lot at that time to board the buses.
- Any student who changes his/her place of residence during the school year must notify the school office immediately of this change. Please also provide the name and number of the new address to the Transportation Department of this change.
- Students who ride the school buses are expected to observe the same rules of conduct while on the bus as they do while in school.
- Students riding a bus other than their usual route must have a bus note with an address. Students will not be allowed to ride a bus without an address.
- Students are dropped off at their designated stop after school. Only students assigned to special needs buses are required to be met at the designated stop by an authorized adult. All other children exit the bus to go to their home.
- For the safety of the students, if you have a question or concern about your child(ren)’s bus driver or route please call the Transportation Department at 547-7500 Ext. 8#.
We discourage sending floral arrangement or balloon delivery for students riding buses due to the distraction to the driver and space limitations.
School Bus Rules for Your Safety
Dear Parents/Guardians and Student:
The “School Bus Rules for Your Safety” is designed to inform school bus riders and parents of regulations and procedures under which students are allowed to ride school buses. The school bus is a key to better education. Riding the bus trains them in safety, responsibility, independence and courtesy. Please review the following rules with your child before signing the bottom portion of the handbook.
Students are not allowed to ride any other bus other than their assigned bus (only two bus routes will be assigned per school year). We will not accommodate day to day bus changes. A consistent schedule can be a different bus for a.m. and p.m. but must be part of their everyday schedule.
It is important that they know the rules on the school bus for their SAFETY. If a student is not following the rules, please refer to the Parent/Student Handbook for “Offenses/Consequences”. If a student is suspended from the bus for disciplinary reasons, that suspension excludes them from riding ANY bus during the time of suspension for any reason including riding to and from school.
The District uses video cameras for safety purposes. Student discipline is recorded and viewed by the Administrative staff when necessary. Because of student privacy issues, video tapes are not viewable by the public. This policy is in effect to protect our total student population.
Special Services and Early Childhood Students:
When students are dropped off at home, the parent/guardian must come to the bus door to get their child. If a parent/guardian does not come out to pick up their child from the bus, the student will be taken back to school. The parent/guardian will be contacted so that arrangements can be made to have the student picked up.
If there are questions concerning busing, contact the Transportation office at 573-547-7500 x 8. If the questions concern discipline, please contact the student’s principal.
AT THE BUS STOP:
- Always walk to the bus stop, never run. Walk on the sidewalk. If there is no sidewalk, walk on the left facing traffic.
- Students are expected to be at their designated bus stop five minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive.
- While at the bus stop, wait in a safe place away from the road. Do not run and play while waiting.
- Never speak to strangers at the bus stop and never get into the car with a stranger. Always go straight home and tell your parents if a stranger tries to talk to you or pick you up.
- Wait for the bus to arrive, watch for red flashing lights and the stop sign to be extended, and cross only when all traffic has stopped. Look left, right and left again before crossing. Do not cross the road at the bus stop until the thumbs up had been given by the driver.
ON THE BUS:
- Observe classroom conduct.
- Each student will have an assigned seat. REMAIN SEATED and facing forward for the entire ride.
- Be courteous, use no profane language.
- Do not eat or drink on the bus, this includes gum and sunflower seeds (plain water in a clear bottle will be allowed)
- Keep the bus clean.
- Cooperate with the driver.
- No tobacco or electronic/vapor smoking devices allowed on the bus or at the bus stop.
- Do not damage the bus or equipment. You will be responsible to pay for any repair or damages made to the bus.
- Keep head, hands and feet inside the bus.
- Do not fight, push or shove other students or the driver.
- Do not tamper with the bus equipment
- Do not bring pets/animals on the bus.
- Do not bring flammable material on the bus.
- Keep your hands and feet to yourself.
- If it doesn’t belong to you, do not touch it.
- Electronic devices can only be used if the driver allows them to be.
EXIT THE BUS:
- While exiting the bus, move at least 10’ away so the bus can proceed. Stay away from the bus wheels and watch out for moving cars!
- Once you get off the bus, go straight home so an adult will know where you are.
- Only get on and off the bus at your designated stop. If you need to get off the bus somewhere else, you will need to have a signed note from your parent/guardian and approved by the school principal. Remember only 2 routes per school year!
- If you leave something on the bus, never return to the bus to get it. The driver may not see you come back and they may begin moving the bus. Also, if you drop something near the bus, get the bus driver’s attention from a safe distance before attempting to pick it up so they will know where you are.
- Once the red flashing lights and the stop sign have been extended, cross only when all traffic has stopped. Look left, right and left again before crossing. Do not cross the road at the bus stop until the thumbs up had been given by the driver.
Riding the school bus is a privilege and not a right. This privilege may be revoked for just cause. The privilege of being transported to and from school and on school trips depends on the rider’s behavior and cooperation. This privilege may be withdrawn. Perry County School District #32 uses video equipment on the buses to monitor student behavior. Any damage done to the bus by a student will be the responsibility of the parent(s) or guardian(s) to pay to repair/replace any parts that are damaged. This will be considered a student fee.
A student must have a bus note or telephone call from his/her parent or guardian in order to ride a different bus or get off the bus at a different location. Please call the school before 1:30 p.m. and be specific with information about the location where the student is to be dropped off; we must have an address. Building administrators will sign and date the note prior to the note being returned to the student. All approved bus notes should be given to the bus driver.
Riding a Different Bus
On the first day of school, the teacher will find out the bus route of each child who rides a bus to and/or from school. This information will be documented and brought to the bus lot each day for the first five days of school. Students entering after the first day will be questioned about their bus routes on the day they enter school. This information will be added to the list of bus routes. There is a limit of two routes per year. Students should inform the teachers and the teachers will inform the office of any bus changes during the school year so that this list can be kept up-to-date. Kindergarten students will need to wear their bus tags the first two weeks of school. Please remember that route numbers are what each child will need to learn and follow. Our bus parking lot is marked with numbers, so if your child rides route #5, the bus will be parked in the #5 parking spot.